Gelatin dessert powder makes a fun, sweet, and colorful addition to the whole grain goodness of popcorn.
Yield: 8 cups
- 2 quarts
- (8 cups) popped popcorn
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (3 ounces) gelatin dessert powder, any flavor
- Sugar sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper or foil; set aside.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray (to reduce sticking) and place popcorn inside; set aside. Heat butter, corn syrup and sugar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring to blend.
- When butter is melted, stir in gelatin until completely dissolved.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Immediately pour hot mixture over popcorn and stir to coat completely. Spread onto prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake 12 minutes; cool in pan.
- Break into small pieces to serve.
To store: place in an airtight container.
Per 1 cup:
8 g total fat
4 g saturated fat
15 mg cholesterol
100 mg sodium
33 g carbohydrates
1 g fiber
28 g sugar
2 g protein
20 mg potassium